This policy is effective as of May 25th, 2018.
What information do we collect?
We collect information about you when you provide it to us and when you use GTmetrix, as described below.
Information you provide to us
We collect information about you that you provide to us:
- Basic Account information: If you register for a GTmetrix account, we collect your name (optional) and e-mail address.
- Payment information: If you sign up for a GTmetrix PRO account, we collect your payment information.
- Test details: If you use the test options (e.g. Cookies, HTTP authentication) when performing a GTmetrix test, those settings are saved for future tests.
- Communications with us: If you contact us via the Contact form, e-mail or social media, this information is collected.
Information we collect automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Logs: Like most services, we log access to our services in log files. This data includes date and time of access, IP address, browser user agent and the page visited.
- Usage information: We collect information on how you are using GTmetrix.
Information we receive from other sources
We collect information from these third-party sources:
Google Analytics: a web analytics service provided by Google Inc.
Our Google Analytics is configured to disable all data sharing options (i.e. our Google Analytics data is not shared with other Google products and services). Google Analytics' advertising features are also disabled (i.e. Remarketing and Advertising Reporting features).
You can disable Google Analytics tracking completely by using the Google Analytics Opt-out browser add-on.
Clearbit: a customer data enrichment service.
Clearbit is used to learn more about our users so that we can make better informed decisions on improving GTmetrix.
We achieve this by providing Clearbit a list of select e-mail addresses from our user database for them to enrich. Only e-mail addresses are used and Clearbit is not authorized to store or collect said data.
Resulting enriched data is mostly gathered from public sources (e.g. LinkedIn) and only contains professional details (e.g. company name, position).
You can update or delete your information from this service via Clearbit's claim form.
How do we use this information?
We use the information mentioned above to:
- Provide and personalize GTmetrix: We use your information to provide services to you (e.g. monitoring alerts) and to personalize your GTmetrix experience.
- Communicate with you about GTmetrix: We use your contact information to send you e-mail directly relating to GTmetrix (e.g. account validation, onboarding, PRO subscription, monitored page alerts). If you have opted-in, we also send you other non-essential GTmetrix e-mail (e.g. Newsletter, Tips and Insights, Promotions). You can change your communications settings from the Account page.
- Resolve customer support issues: When you contact us for support, we may use your information to help resolve your problem.
- Improve GTmetrix: We use usage information and customer feedback to identify issues with GTmetrix and make improvements to the service.
- Monitor and prevent security issues with GTmetrix: We use logs and usage information to monitor for suspicious or fraudulent activity.
Do we share this information?
We do not share, sell, rent or trade your private personal information with third parties without your consent, except in the following circumstances:
Service Providers working on our behalf (Sub-processors): We use third-party Service Providers to provide specific services for GTmetrix. The following third-parties have limited access to specific information (as needed):
- Recurly, Inc (United States): Billing and subscriptions.
- Bambora, Inc (Canada): Payment processing.
- Stripe, Inc (United States): Payment processing.
- Zendesk, Inc (United States): Customer support.
- Clearbit (United States): Customer data enrichment.
- To comply with Laws: If we receive a request for information, we may disclose information if we reasonably believe disclosure is in accordance with or required by any applicable law, regulation or legal process.
How do we store and secure this information?
Information storage and security
No service is 100% secure, but we work hard to ensure that we use best security practices when processing your information. Your information is stored as long as necessary at the following locations:
- General account and report information: Carbon60 Operating Co. Ltd. (Canada)
- Payment information: Recurly (United States)
- Customer support communications: Zendesk (United States)
We do not store credit card information or any other sensitive information on our own servers.
Update and deletion of information
The following data can be accessed and updated:
- General account information: Your Name, E-mail and communication preferences can be accessed and updated from the Account page.
- Payment information: Your credit card details can be updated from the Payment Update page.
- Test details: Test options (e.g. Cookies, HTTP authentication) can be accessed and updated from the report's Page Settings menu.
You can delete your account and associated data by requesting an account deletion (if you are a GTmetrix PRO user, you must cancel your plan first). If you would only like to update/delete specific data, please contact us.
Note that we may need to retain certain information (e.g. logs) for record keeping purposes. Any data retained will be anonymized (except IP).
How to contact us
300 - 2233 Columbia St
Vancouver, BC V5Y 0M6
Feb 6th, 2020
- Fix broken account deletion link
May 31st, 2019
- Updates to data deletion section
- Updates to service providers
- Updates to information collected
May 25th, 2018
- First revision